The Chaillot Palace
From one World Fair to another… The imposing Palais de Chaillot was built in 1937 to replace the Palais du Trocadéro, which was built in 1878. Its architects (Léon Azéma, Jacques Carlu and Louis-Hippolyte Boileau) designed two pavilions extended by long curved wings on either side of a forecourt from which there is an exceptional view of the Eiffel Tower on the other side of the Seine. Below, the Trocadero gardens stretch out.
The square and the buildings are decorated with numerous sculptures by Paul Belmondo and Henri Bouchard, among others. Inside the palace are the Musée de l’Homme, the Musée national de la Marine, the Cité de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine and the Théâtre national de Chaillot, formerly the Théâtre national populaire (TNP) directed by Jean Vilar.
The palace has long been home to the Cinémathèque française, which now has its own site in the Parc de Bercy.